17 July 2011

The Biennial Flight Review

N172DR - C172R - 1.4 hours

The day started early in the morning at Leesburg (JYO) with Ben, the CFI, and N172DR, a Cessna 172R. The weather was pretty good for a summer morning, with good visibility and calm winds, so we set off towards Martinsburg, WV. It's a towered field. I figured I might as well get some interaction with ATC in while practicing landings and otherwise satisfying the flight requirement for my BFR. On the way out, we worked in some slow flight and a power-on stall. That all looked pretty reasonable for not having flown in over a year and a half, so we carried on to Martinsburg (MRB) to practice landings. Four laps around the pattern got me back in shape with the landings, so we headed back in the direction of JYO. Since I'd filed /G instead of the required /X in order to participate in the Leesburg Maneuvering area, I called up Potomac TRACON to get clearance back into the SFRA, as is required to get back to JYO. After getting back, we put the plane in its spot and I got signed off for another two years of flying.

As far as posts go, I know the narrative on this one's pretty weak, but nothing truly interesting happened, and I know as much as I love flying, the vast majority of people don't follow my aviation-speak-laden rants, so I tried to keep it simple. From here on out, though, these posts will just be a running narrative on my flights and adventures. For now, it'll just be me getting through some of the initial time requirements for the instrument rating. Later, when I start getting more into the instrument rating content - instrument approaches and the like - I'll add in some comments on flight training.



Let the Instrument Rating (IR) Begin:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 0 - 16.3 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0 - 3.5 (of 40)