06 February 2016

More Performance

N8454Y - PA32 - 1.2 hours

As I'm working my way through my training, I've been trying to figure out ways to use the flight hours to their fullest. Back in November, for example, I logged more simulated instrument time in a complex aircraft. That got me closer to the commercial requirement of the 10 hours in a complex aircraft, but also got me more simulated instrument time toward the instrument requirement.

Today, in order to try to knock out yet another requirement for the type of flying that I want to do, I figured I'd start getting into a high performance aircraft to get that endorsement, while also logging some simulated instrument time. The aircraft today was a Piper Saratoga, and is slightly larger than what I have been typically flying, with a much larger engine.

In order to get used to the aircraft, we took it just over the ridge to Winchester (OKV) to fly the VOR-A approach, land, and then back to Leesburg (JYO) for the ILS, and another landing. It was a simple flight, with nothing too spectacular. One thing I did learn, however, is that a smooth application of power goes a long way. I added power pretty quickly on the first takeoff, which contributed to some torque steer. It wasn't unmanageable, and I corrected for it, but it was a surprise nonetheless.

Since I'm getting to within 10 hours of the 40 required for the instrument rating, it's time to get more serious about getting that over with.



Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 0.0 - 128.8 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0.7 - 32.6 (of 40)
Dual Complex: 0.0 - 7.7 (of 10)
Total Time in Aircraft: 1.2 - 198.7 (of 250)