22 August 2011

Back to Luray

N5294W - C172R - 1.7 hours

Note for other pilots:
The airport identifier for Luray is now LUA. Of course, everything hasn't transitioned to LUA, so W45 may still be needed in some cases. Flight Service mentioned it in the brief before the flight.

This flight came somewhat out of a random connection made at work, thanks to another one of the instructors (of the co-worker, non-CFI variety), and a need to test an aircraft out before I took it through a potentially dangerous corridor of airspace (more on this in a later post). Long story short, I met another pilot at work - Ashley - and we decided to take a flight so that I could test this plane, and she could get a feel for the local airspace as she's new to the area.

Since I just wanted to make a quick flight, I decided I'd head back to Luray. It's a short flight, but I can at least use the hours towards the cross country requirement of the instrument rating. After the preflight, a call to the FSS to file the flight plan, a second preflight by Ashley, and a few questions, we were off. The second preflight and the questions were things I fully expected, but I was also forewarned by her as it's her own safety thing. As a CFI, you experience a wide variety of students, many of whom often remind you that you need to always keep an eye on them. Since she is a CFI and hadn't flown with me before, the second preflight, and the questions were understandable.

To be honest, the questions also opened my eyes a bit to things some pilots take for granted. I began flying in this area, so terrain and airspace awareness are a huge thing to me, but I take it as it comes. To someone who began flying in flatter areas, the terrain can be unnerving. The same can be said for those whose first sectional had very little controlled airspace depicted, arriving in this area, where some of the airspace is very controlled, and even further, very prohibited. The questions about what I do to cross a mountain in the daytime versus the night were questions I hadn't consciously considered fully, much less many of the other questions. It's a good example of how to learn from someone else, really.

On the flight down, I explained some quick ground references that can help in remaining below the Dulles airspace, pointed out some prominent landmarks, and ended up getting 0.1 hours of hood time (it's not much, but every bit helps meet the 40 hour requirement). The approach to Luray was slightly off, as I turned too close to the field, so I ended up going around. After going around, we landed with a decent crosswind, taxied in, turned around and were back off. I ended up using the same cut over to New Market, up I-81 as I used before in order to buy time to talk to the FSS to refile a flight plan back in to Leesburg.

The route back brought with it some great shots of the sunset, and some familiarization with the airspace out in the Shenandoah valley. Along with it, though, came the dark of night and a slightly nervous CFI because not seeing the ground becomes an issue in the case of an emergency. As she put it, "if the engine fails, we're on a wing and a prayer." It's very true, but it's something you have to accept somewhat if you want to fly around here. This area is full of hills and trees, that are in most parts unlit. Other than not flying at night, there's not much you can do about it. Flying brings with it the risk of somehow no longer getting the option of flying. Managing that risk is still an issue, and one we'll continue to argue as long as we have wings.

Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 1.7 - 25.3 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0.1 - 3.6 (of 40)