16 May 2013

Goodbye to an Old Friend

First, I have to say that everyone is okay - "Old Friend" is referring to a plane I've flown for years.

Second, I have to say that I was not involved with this in any way.

Third, I have to say that the NTSB looks into all accidents and none of the information has even made it into their database (at least publicly).  Since they haven't released any statements of probable cause, you're not going to find any commentary on what happened other than what I know for a fact: a plane I've been flying for just short of a decade was involved in a non-fatal crash at the Windwood Fly-In Resort (WV62) on 26 April 2013.  Oddly enough, I was actually flying that day, and to a field less than 14 miles away no less.  Even crazier is that I'd flown the plane less than a week before.

N96178 certainly wasn't the prettiest plane in the fleet.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the oldest in the Leesburg (JYO) fleet by the time it was taken out, but it was a trusty workhorse over the years.  I soloed in it back in 2003 and have flown it off and on for 14 flight hours since.  Since I started this blog after finishing my private pilot license some of those adventures are missing, but I caught some of them.

Here's the aftermath of the crash the other week:





For me, I'll just remember this picture of the plane from my flight out to Garrett County (2G4) last year:


I'll miss that plane.