11 November 2015

Lancaster for Dinner

N172DR - C172R - 2.1 hours

I don't know why, but for some crazy reason, I decided that I needed to take a flight on a Wednesday. What other reason might one need? Any excuse to fly can be a good one.

I'd been told for quite some time that I needed to go to the airport in Lancaster (LNS) to try out the restaurant there, but never ended up going for various reasons. Tonight would be the night that I would do just that, though.

Validation for the "back in my day" speech...
As soon as I got to the plane, I noticed that my night would be made somewhat more difficult by the GPS being inoperative. Never being one to pass up a challenge, I just pulled out my paper maps, stuffed them in the side pocket, and made sure my iPad was readily accessible. The planes that I flew when I first started out had nothing more than VOR or NDB navigation, so the lack of GPS felt somewhat like a homecoming of sorts. As I've mentioned before, the lack of of movable map to show the airspace is somewhat bothersome, but having flown in and out of Leesburg (JYO) for just over 12 years now, I'm familiar enough with the landmarks that the feeling of apprehension is manageable.

After departing, I made my way up toward Frederick (FDK), carefully keeping below the Dulles (IAD) Class B airspace above me, while also making sure to be above the tower airspace at FDK. To navigate up there, I used mostly ground references - cities and towns - in addition to the VORs at FDK and LNS.

Once up at LNS, I landed on Runway 31 and brought the plane over to the ramp near the restaurant. If you haven't been to Fiorentino's, it's worth a stop. Since it's predominantly Italian food, it's a welcomed change to the typically all-American style of most other airport restaurants that I've been to. Some of those others are really good at that fare, but it's pretty standard for most small airports: burgers, sandwiches, chips and fries. If you're good at it, you're good at it, but it's also nice to be able to go somewhere to get something different.

Sunsets: Always better from the air
The flight home was a good one, without too much wind or turbulence. As the sun set and ground references were lost to the darkness, I transitioned mostly VOR navigation. The last moments of the lightness on the horizon had a spectacular orange glow, made more dynamic with the grey of the clouds and darker blue sky showing through them. I snapped a photo, but it truly does not do it justice.

Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 2.1 - 124.4 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0.0 - 28.8 (of 40)
Dual Complex: 0.0 - 5.0 (of 10)
Total Time in Aircraft: 2.1 - 193.1 (of 250)