28 December 2013

Quick CHO Trip

N677JA - C172S - 1.7 hours

Flying time: the ever-present Christmas list item for me.

This year was no exception, and it was with that in mind that I was sitting with a friend discussing plans Christmas night.  Originally, we were all going to try to do something after everyone was done visiting family (or working).  In the end, we decided on doing something on the weekend instead.  My suggestion, of course, was flying.

Since her sister was visiting from out of town and she wanted to get back to see her after the flight, I wanted to keep the flight short.  Charlottesville (CHO) is both a short flight and a good destination to get out and have dinner, so that's what we went with.

After we got to the plane, I started going through the preflight, explaining some of what I was doing in the process.  Also during said process, I went back into the plane to get something and ended up smacking my head on the extended flap.  That, of course, drew a few laughs as we waited for the fuel truck to show up.  Once the fuel truck had departed, we were on our way to CHO.

The weather was really clear, and the wind mostly calm.  I pointed out a few landmarks, and explained how to find airports at night.  Nearing CHO, I checked the weather, called into Landmark to check on the crew car, and then called the tower. The dinner spot was the usual: Timberwood Grill, where good food was enjoyed before we trekked back to the airport and headed home.

The flight back was the standard trip back from CHO, and after stashing the plane in its spot we headed home for warmth.

Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 1.7 - 88.2 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0.0 - 14.0 (of 40)