17 November 2012

Short Runway - Strong Crosswind

N172DR - C172R - 1.8 hours

Phil and I have had plans to go flying for a while now.  Originally, it was a flight back in May, but that got cancelled so I flew out west on my own.  I'm pretty sure there were a few plans in between, but more recently we were thinking of helping a friend get home to Upstate New York.  Those plans also got cancelled as well, so like the flight back in May, we thought we'd head up to State College, PA.  Yesterday, we decided that flight would be a little longer than we would've liked, so we cancelled those plans as well and opted for a challenge instead.

To be honest, that last paragraph reminds me a little of this:



Back in February of 2010, I went for a flight out of Harford County Airport (0W3), right after one of the Snowpocalypse storms.  If the 2000' x 40' runway wasn't enough of a challenge, some of the snow plowed off of the runway was piled at the ends.  It wouldn't be enough to force pilots to hit a 2000' x 40' target, though.  Why not add in a 24' telephone line 500' from the runway, and some giant trees just beyond that?  This is also not mentioning that I hadn't flown since August of 2008 prior to that.  Despite it being a challenge, I really enjoyed it.  I think that was the reason I enjoyed it, actually.  It's a challenge.

We started the day early in weather that could only be described as "severe clear."  Clear weather, however, makes no mention of temperature or wind.  While it wasn't too incredibly cold, it was cold enough to put frost on the wings.  The wind only added to the chill at a steady 6 knots.  Phil preflighted the plane while I de-iced the wings of our plane, and several other aircraft on the way to put the de-ice bottle back inside.  Back outside, I got the interior all set up with Phil.  In the last flight narrative, I made fun of myself for the amount of technology I bring with me, but we essentially doubled it this time.  Phil had his GoPro, iPad, Dual XGPS150, and the audio setup.  I had my Contour, iPad, Garmin GLO, and audio setup as well.  Why not?

After starting and heading down to the end of Runway 35, I called Potomac to get my SFRA flight plan activated.  Apparently they didn't get it, though, so instead of bothering with Flight Service, Phil and I gave up the plan of a shortcut through the SFRA and just departed north, up and around it.  On climb out, my iPad was not agreeing with the Garmin GLO for whatever reason.  Phil ended up getting it sorted through cycling the power on both.  Once that was all sorted, I threw the blinders on so that we could both log time (and I could continue to chip away at the 40 hour instrument time requirement).

Because we didn't get an SFRA clearance, we flew a route that would hug the outside: DINUW LINSE TAFFI 0W3.  In order to log another approach, I flew the RNAV (GPS)-B off of TAFFI.

One of the issues with flying GPS approaches is that you never know whether or not the GPS database in the aircraft is up to date when it comes to renting from flight schools.  It all depends on the school, really, but the one I rent from tends to be pretty good about keeping the aircraft up to date.  The ever-so-trusty N172DR has a KLN-89B, and looking at the unit, it seems pretty simplistic.  If you're a flyer of an aircraft with a simpler-looking GPS, don't discount it too much as a lot of them have some pretty neat features buried in them.  Unfortunately, most of the CFIs don't know a lot of the features and normally only show you how to use the Direct-To feature.  That's nothing against them, really, as some fleets have different equipment in just about every plane, but it's tough to utilize the tools in front of you if you've never been shown how.  If you're not going to be shown the neat features, you might as well go learn them on your own.  The KLN-89B actually has a free simulator that's out there on the internet.  Unfortunately, I can't find a link from the manufacturer, but I did find a link through Software Informer.  If you fly with a different unit, there's probably a free simulator out there somewhere as well.  To be honest, the only reason I knew the KLN-89B had a moving map and an approach database was through the simulator in the link.

So, all that to say I was able to load the GPS approach after TAFFI through a little homework.  Since the GPS was only going to give me lateral navigation, I flew the approach with step downs.  Looking at the track in CloudAhoy, I didn't do too poorly.  At the far left, you can see a very subtle bend in the track, which is my turn over TAFFI.  After that, the more obvious turn in the middle is SNAZI, where you can see I turned a little more than necessary, and had to adjust closer to the field in order to land on Runway 10.  I'll review CloudAhoy in another post, but check out the screen capture in Debrief Mode.


When I began the approach, I checked BWI's ATIS as noted on the approach plate, as there's no weather station on the field.  It noted the wind was 040 at 9, meaning a nice crosswind for the approach, but nothing too unmanageable.  After the little sidestep at the end of the approach, I brought the plane in for what I thought would be a nice showing of my landing skills.  Unfortunately, the weather had other plans.  The 9 knot wind wasn't so much of a 9 knot wind as much as it was a gusty 9 knot wind.  It wasn't until I landed and checked the weather that I found out how gusty exactly.

In any case, here's the video of me fighting the crosswind down to the runway.  Closer in, you can hear Phil say "nosewheel," anticipating me hitting nose first as I bring it in typically flat.  I think I managed to hit the mains first, but wound up airborne again.  I couldn't get it to settle and the end was coming up quickly, so I went around.  Note the telephone line and giant trees at the end that I mentioned earlier, too.

[Video was here until Contour closed down for a bit, and all was lost.]

After going around, I wrapped the pattern back around to try the approach to Runway 28.  In the video, you can see that the wind sock shows the wind somewhat favored Runway 10, but the last time I flew here I used Runway 28, so I figured I'd try that.

The second approach wasn't any better than the first, so I went around.  The third attempt, however, was good enough to set down.  I won't say it looked pretty because it really didn't, but I at least made it down to the ground, despite a gust picking the right wing up slightly, causing me to drag the right wheel while trying to brake.  Thankfully, I had Phil to dump the lift by raising the flaps when I called it.

The video picks up on final, and you can definitely see how close you come to the trees and the telephone lines this time around.  Contour changed the style of the videos as well.  I'm not so much of a fan of the new overlay, but it is what it is.  Just make sure not to pay attention to the speed display.  It's not very accurate, which you can see as it still displays 70 mph when I'm pulling off the runway.

[Video was here until Contour closed down for a bit, and all was lost.]

As I exit, you can barely hear me coordinating with the aircraft holding short of the runway, who I later joked with about the luxuries of longer runways.  Because I don't have any specific audio editing software, or audio hosting for that matter, I made it into a short YouTube clip:

After that departure, we headed back to JYO and I put the hood back on.  Closer to Frederick (FDK), I remembered that they now have a tower and that I would need to avoid their airspace, or call them up.  I opted for the former by climbing above it.  The controller seemed to have his hands full with a couple pilots still adjusting to the relatively new tower, and I didn't feel like adding to his workload.  After turning south, I handed the controls over to Phil so he could get in a landing.  Compared to my landings, his was nice and smooth.


Here's the evidence:

[Video was here until Contour closed down for a bit, and all was lost.]


After I got home and checked the weather, it turns out that BWI's weather information updated right after I flew the approach.  This report matches more of what I felt:

KBWI 171454Z 04012G21KT 10SM CLR 08/M03 A3059 RMK AO2 SLP359 T00831028 51019

For the non-pilots among us, this is saying that the weather at BWI (KBWI) today, at 1454 UTC (171454Z), had wind from the northeast at 12 knots gusting to 21 knots (04012G21).  The rest is sky conditions, temperature and pressure.

Definitely an airport I would return to - wind or not. I loved the challenge.


Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 1.8 - 74.2 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 1.3 - 9.6 (of 40)