06 April 2012

A New Checklist Item

N172DR - C172R - 1.6 hours

First, I must point out why the title is what it is:
For the second time I've made a mistake with the video camera that has cost me some valuable footage.  Today, I somehow managed to turn the camera off instead of on, so I captured absolutely nothing today.  I missed two approaches, a whole bunch of pattern work, and a few other cool things that I guess I'll just try to convey via text.  The new checklist item, however, is "camera on and recording."

I only think it's recording right now

Camera issues and related frustration aside, it was actually an awesome flight.

My friend Ashley asked me yesterday if I would like to go flying sometime soon, and after telling her when I had time, she said "tomorrow?"  You all know I'm not one to turn down a flight, especially when it's with a fellow pilot I can split time with.  She's been wanting to find a pattern to get a few landings in for a while, so I began flipping between the hassle of staying here (JYO) or going to Winchester (OKV).

On the drive out, I'd been thinking more of flying out to OKV for a relatively empty pattern and not having to worry about special procedures.  When I got to the airport, I had time to kill, so I sat down and continued plotting.  That plotting included throwing in an instrument approach so I could log some more simulated instrument time and chip away at the rest of the 35 hours I still had left, so I bought a current copy of the Virginia and Maryland approach charts.

I settled on the OKV idea, and the Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach to Runway 32 at Winchester.  It was really convenient because it was in line with our route to the airport, and it put us out at an airport where we could run laps around the traffic pattern undisturbed.  On the way out I called up Potomac TRACON, who accommodated the request via radar vectors.  After a few heading changes, I was cleared direct to CLADD to shoot the approach.  Nearing CLADD it seemed like the localizer (the part of the ILS that guides me laterally) was reverse sensing (it was showing me right of course, when I was left), but it seemed more normal as I got to CLADD and continued inbound.  Ashley called out altitudes and watched for traffic while I had the horse blinders on, attempting to follow radio beams to the runway.  For one of my first times flying an instrument approach, it wasn't bad.  I was tracking the localizer well, but there was a mix up with the frequency set in the second nav radio, so I wasn't able to pick up the necessary cross radials off of Linden to determine my steps down in altitude before intercepting the glideslope (the part of the ILS that guides me vertically).  That put me above the glideslope, but after checking how far I was from CLADD on the GPS, I found that I was near the point that I should be following the glideslope and descended to capture it and follow it all down to the runway.  I took the blinders off just above the minimum descent altitude (MDA) for the approach and landed with a little bit of a gusty wind from the north.

After landing, we taxied back to Runway 32 to do some pattern work.  Ashley took the first lap around and opted for a go-around after the wind tossed us around some on short final.  On climbout, I was handed the controls again to give her a break from fighting the wind for a lap.  My first trip around the pattern wasn't too bad, but the wind did distort it slightly.  The strong wind from the north meant there was a decent crosswind, but it also meant that we had to turn to base and final closer in to keep the same descent angles.  If you're not used to adjusting your pattern for wind, it can definitely throw you off.

Ashley took over again for a few more trips around the pattern with better results.  For not having flown in a while, the landings were on point, and they only got better with each pass.  I made a few more landings of my own, and I remember thinking that I was glad I had the camera to record some of them.  Right... Taxiing back for the last departure, I pulled out the approach plates again to get set up for another instrument approach heading back into JYO.

After departing OKV, I turned north towards Martinsburg (MRB) to pick up the VOR (navigation radio) there as it's the initial approach fix (IAF) for the ILS Runway 17 approach into JYO.  Potomac again got me situated on the approach, and provided traffic advisories.  Over MRB, I was switched from 120.45 (MANNE) to 126.1 (MULRR), and then over to ASPER (125.05) as I got closer to getting established on the localizer.  The controller saw that I was established on the approach and told me to switch over to JYO's CTAF so that I could let them know what I was doing.  He also, however, told me to remain outside of the Class B airspace, which annoyed me to a certain degree.  I understand the controller had a job to do that was a lot more important than VFR practice approaches, but it put me in a tough spot not knowing specifically that the approach in itself would keep me out of the Bravo airspace.  I'll readily admit that I didn't cross-reference the approach chart with a sectional to see if the approach remained clear of the airspace, but finding that information out is not as simple as you'd think.

The approach chart clearly shows the SFRA, but nowhere does it show the overlying Bravo shelves (it wouldn't need to if you're IFR, anyway).  The Sectional Chart also clearly shows the SFRA and the Bravo shelves, but not the instrument approach, or the fixes on the approach.  You'd think the FAA would design approaches with things like that in mind, but that's not the case.  There was a big issue a few years ago where one of the missed approach procedures at Frederick (FDK) placed you inside of the ADIZ (precursor to the SFRA).  If you were flying VFR practice approaches and you ended up flying the missed approach, you would bust the airspace.  Despite this, there was very little understanding from the FAA.  The AOPA fought hard against it so the FAA, as a result, began depicting the ADIZ (and later the SFRA) on the charts for situational awareness, but the stance remains: bust the airspace, and we'll bust you.

In any case, my distraction with trying to remain under the Bravo, while also flying the approach took its toll and I ended up right of course.  That all worked out in the end, though, as that put me in the right spot to enter the traffic pattern for Runway 35.  As we arrived in the traffic pattern, though, a helicopter based at JYO called inbound for a non-standard entry into the pattern.  Luckily, we spotted it pretty far out, and they called us in sight soon after.  Even so, it was unnerving turning towards it on base, and even more so knowing it was also going to approach over the taxiway parallel to me.  When I turned final, I attempted to just lock everything else out of my head except landing, and because of that, I pulled off one of my best landings ever, celebrating in my mind that I just caught it on camera.  Again...right... I even managed to have the nose up (a rarity for me, as you know) and the stall warning as I touched.

As I taxied off, I got buzzed by the helicopter, which I wasn't so pleased with, but it's not like it was too close for comfort.  It's just startling to have a large bright yellow thing pass just ahead of and above you.  After parking, we put the plane back in its spot and set off for a much needed dinner.

For those of you who fly out of JYO and are wondering what I found out about the ILS Runway 17 approach, it does actually remain under the Bravo.  I made the chart by superimposing the approach chart on top of a sectional and copying the Class B lines over.  Obviously, it's for reference only, and don't come busting down my door if the FAA comes busting down yours.  If you're still unsure, you can go to SkyVector.com and enter the approach fixes to see where they're depicted on the sectional and you can check the altitudes on your own.




Let's see if I can actually remember to turn the camera on next time.





Hours:
Pilot in Command Cross Country (PIC XC): 0 - 50.4 (of 50)
Actual/Simulated Instrument (Act/Sim): 0.7 - 5.6 (of 40)